I’m not a usual player with the Woodley Concert Band, but their first oboe can’t make this concert so I’m pleased to be helping out. They have a lovely website here and you can view concert details here.
I’ve pinched the picture above and lifted the details below from the WCB’s website:
Saturday, 19th March 2016 at 7:30pm
Waingels College, Waingels Road, Woodley, RG5 4RF
Take the plunge with Woodley Concert Band! Our first concert of 2016 is water-themed and we’ll be immersing you in a bathful of water-related music! From South Pacific and Titanic to wet-weather classic Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, there’ll be something for everyone and and loads of your favourite soggy music! Galoshes optional!
Perhaps I wouldn’t have gone for quite so many exclamation marks myself, but you get the general idea. I’m looking forward to it – it should be fun!
This concert is for the Basingstoke Lions Club, at Aldworth Science College on Saturday 2nd May at 7.30pm. The orchestra is put together ‘by invitation’ and is conducted by Neil Streeter. We rehearsed with the singers on Sunday last, and they are fantastic.
The programme is comprised of lots of short pieces and is as follows:
- Wood – Horseguards Whitehall
- Young – Around the World in 80 Days
- Rogers & Hammerstein – South Pacific Medley
- Youmans arr. Shostakovitch – Tahiti Trot (Tea for Two)
- Lloyd Webber – Don’t Cry for me Argentina
- Themes from Pirates of the Caribbean
- Manilow – Copa Cabana
- Benjamin – Jamaican Rumba
- Mexican Hat Dance
- Freed & Brown – Singing in the Rain
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Menken & Ashman – Be our Guest (from Beauty & the Beast)
- Lady of Spain
- Bizet – The Toreador’s Song
- Lindsey-Clark – La Moinerie
- Wood – Montmartre
- Lerner & Lowe – Selection from Gigi
- Rogers & Sondheim – Do I Hear a Waltz?
- Lehar – Gold & Silver Waltz
- The Third Man Theme
- Rogers & Hammerstein – Selection from The Sound of Music
I think this concert might just turn out to be more fun than I’ve ever had in my entire life. Come along if you can!